|
Get full access to this newsletter every day, plus our award-winning website and app. Be quick: this offer must end soon.
|
 |
Gordon Rayner Associate Editor |
Just when rival parties were hoping Reform UK’s bubble had burst, up pops one of its billionaire supporters with the biggest ever donation to a political party.
Ben Delo, the crypto king, has shovelled a staggering £36m into Nigel Farage’s war chest to “level the democratic playing field” at the next general election.
Breaking the news in The Telegraph, Delo, 42, said he wanted to give Reform the resources it needed to tackle the “entrenched advantages” of Labour and the Tories, which have built their party machines over more than a century.
His donation is a game changer. The previous record for a single donation was a £10m bequest to the Tories from Lord (John) Sainsbury, while the biggest gift from a living donor was the £9m given to Reform by another crypto billionaire, Christopher Harborne, in 2025.
Farage’s political rivals had been hoping he might give up the fight after a difficult summer in which both Parliament and the police launched investigations into Reform funding.
Instead, Farage has been given a breathtaking boost ahead of what he is convinced will be a 2027 general election, and the odds of him winning might just have shortened. Continue reading ➤
Ben Delo: I’m giving Reform millions to make the next election a fair fight ➤ |
Louise Carpenter Features Writer |
“I remind myself every single morning that today I am in charge of my day. Nobody is telling me what to do. You only appreciate it once you have lost your freedom.”
Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, an Iranian-British national, was snatched by Iran’s Revolutionary Guards at Tehran airport while holding her 22-month-old daughter in her arms back in 2016. She was thrown in prison accused of spying.
It emerged years later that she was a geopolitical pawn in a battle between the British and Iranian governments for a £400m unpaid British debt. Her husband, Richard Ratcliffe, refused to accept the lies and evasions that came from the Foreign Office. Why wouldn’t they bring her home?
In an interview with Zaghari-Ratcliffe, I was moved to tears by her resilience, by her losses but also by what she has reclaimed and is creating afresh. She returned to Britain in 2022 with unmanageable obsessive-compulsive and post-traumatic stress disorders.
How did she rebuild her life with her loved ones?
“I try very hard to be where I am today,” she tells me, “to protect my relationships from what happened to us. I will do my best to carry on trying.”
My conversation with Zaghari-Ratclife reveals that with dedication and determination (and the right therapist), love and kindness not only survive but they triumph. Continue reading ➤ |
|
Charles Moore Scrutiny by the Lords showed the Bill to be unsafe. The state must not try this again for a generation Continue reading ➤
Camilla Tominey Labour’s war on the South is built on a poisonous myth Continue reading ➤
Christopher Howse Catholic PMs shouldn’t be appointing Anglican bishops Continue reading ➤ |
To make sure you don’t miss our newsletters when they land in your inbox, click here. |
The Ukraine war is known for the proliferation of video footage captured on the front line, yet Kyiv’s forces launched their most significant attack of the year so far behind a veil of silence. On May 22, the 3rd Army Corps began a counter-attack aimed at relieving pressure on the embattled city of Lyman and the crucial Fortress Belt of cities that underpin Ukraine’s defence of the Donbas. Only now, five months later, are the results starting to emerge. There has been no official confirmation, nor any drone or GoPro footage of successful advances. In fact, the information black-out appears to have fooled the Russian president entirely. Only two weeks ago, he claimed that Russia had captured Sviatohirsk – a city, by then, far behind the new front line carved out by Kyiv’s marauding troops. Continue reading ➤ |
|
 |
Dr Anna Schaffner explained to me that burnout is a kind of “exhaustion that we can’t alleviate through rest”, and it is most likely to strike in midlife, writes Lauren Shirreff. Fortunately there is much that can be done to ward off burnout in life’s most stress-inducing decades. Continue reading ➤ |
|
Jerry Hall has seen it all, from nights out at Studio 54 to Vogue covers and marriages to Mick Jagger and Rupert Murdoch. Even so, at 70, she is now living her best life. As she tells Julia Llewellyn Smith, “You worry about getting old and being alone, then you get there and think, ‘Hey, this is really great!’” Not that Hall is fading from public life. She’s the star of a major new beauty campaign and will soon appear in Celebrity Traitors. Continue reading ➤ |
|
Darya Simanovich is one of a growing group of women who believe they have found the secret to “having it all”. She’s a mother of three and a serial entrepreneur, but instead of working late or hiring a nanny, she has chosen to offload her personal and household admin to a virtual assistant based in Nigeria. Continue reading ➤ |
|
|
Do you know what you’re going to eat this weekend? We’ve got you covered. Every Saturday, Diana Henry, The Telegraph’s award-winning cookery writer, brings you three recipes for a perfect weekend meal. Meanwhile, William Sitwell shares his view from the culinary world – and a recommendation or two.
Green chilli and coriander naan with kachumber salad |
 |
Diana Henry |
I am ensconced in testing recipes for my next cookbook, which is about food from northern Europe. It sounds very spoilt if you cook lovely and interesting food all day and then want boiled eggs and oranges for tea. The truth is I truly can’t eat any more beetroot, lingonberry sauce or sprigs of dill. I am craving spices – and spices beyond cinnamon and cardamom, the ones you smell in bakeries from Copenhagen to Helsinki.
Right now, I want Middle Eastern and Indian spices, and some of the simplest dishes I can make. To be honest, it will be hard not to give in to the temptation of ordering dishes from my favourite Indian restaurant. But at the same time, what is better and simpler than making your own naan bread? I promise you, you can make it; try my chilli and coriander naan and find out.
Roast red pepper, carrot and harissa purée |
As for what to have with it, let’s not worry about where dishes come from, but about how they complement each other. Roast red pepper purées are made in Syria, Spain and Greece, and this one with carrots in it is hot with harissa. Use the naan bread to scoop it up and its accompanying kachumber salad (tomatoes, cucumber, lime juice) to soothe your mouth.
Roast potatoes with chilli, mint, preserved lemon, feta and yogurt |
Lastly, these roast chilli potatoes with feta and mint are one of those Middle-Eastern-inspired dishes we are all so good at thinking up these days when we’re not respecting borders. It brings both Greece and Morocco to the table and is a good “anchoring” dish for the naan and purée.
You don’t have to eat these three dishes together, of course, but they do work. End it all with mint tea and baklava or halva. I will be chopping dill again on Monday.
And before you go…
If you’re bored of eating reheated leftovers for lunch, check out Silvana Franco’s transformation ideas for five delicious dinners. Turn a coconut curry into chunky wraps the next day, or tomato and chorizo pasta into muffins. Beats a lunch of dreary dregs.
 |
William Sitwell |
There’s something beautifully simple when you enter a bar in Europe and ask for a glass of wine. They just pour you one. Not in Blighty, though. Of course not. Here, distrustful of everyone around us and bound by regulation and custom, the response to the request for a glass of wine is met with, “small, medium or large?” Bureaucracy butts into the moment, delaying the sweet joy of the sniff, swirl and sip of wine, so I’m determined to do something about it at my establishment, The White Hart. My campaign to stop this traffic warden mentality starts here… Read William’s full column ➤ |
Three little wordsWhile Orlando Bird, our loyal Reader Correspondent, is away, Kate Moore is on hand to share an off-piste topic that has brought out the best of your opinions and stories. Kate writes...
Three little words, freighted with so much emotion. Readers certainly had a lot to say in response to Michael Deacon’s argument that fathers shouldn’t need to tell their children that they love them.
There is something rather British in all this. I am from the “emotionally intelligent” millennial generation, and therefore a softie. However, I still save most of my “love yous” for the dog, who at least is under no obligation to answer back.
A lot seemed to hang on the age of the parent. “I’m 78, a Texan,” said Mary Howard. “I don’t recall Daddy ever saying he loved me. I remember him picking me up when I was hurt badly in a bicycle accident. Mom drove because he wouldn’t put me down.”
“I don’t remember my father ever saying that he loved me,” agreed Ian Perry. “His was a generation that wasn’t verbally expressive (born in 1931). I do remember that when I was away at university he wrote to me every week. So maybe he did at least remember who I was, and noticed that I wasn’t around the house so much.”
Richard Eyre was inclined to think that previous generations had got it wrong. “As someone who only saw his father at best 10 weeks a year between the age of 9 to 18 (at which point I left home) and can’t recall my father ever saying he loved me, I absolutely make sure my son knows he is loved both through actions and words.”
Of course, there are circumstances in which an expression of love is imperative. I was particularly moved by David Nichols’ experience: “Last summer I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I wasn’t in a very good place. I went out with my sons and I broke down in tears. They hugged me and told me they loved me. That made me feel so much better.” Is there a limit to the love a parent can – or should – express? Tell us what you think here.
Please confirm in your reply that you are happy to be featured and that we have your permission to use your name. |
|
Welcome to Andrew Baker’s Saturday quiz. Test your knowledge below to see if you have been paying attention to our newsletters this week...
1. Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham made their live debut as The New Yardbirds this week in 1968. Under which name would they later become famous?
2. Lord Benyon issued guidance on the status of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex this week. What is Lord Benyon’s role in the Royal Household?
3. What, according to Tim Spector, the health expert, has been unfairly demonised?
4. Which fictional pirate was educated at Eton?
5. Which new gadget, costing £1,999, was tested for us by Britta O’Boyle in California?
Find as many words as you can in today’s Panagram, including the nine-letter solution. Visit Telegraph Puzzles to play a range of head-scratching games, including The 1% Club, Cogs, and Quick, Mini or Cryptic Crosswords.
|
Yesterday’s Panagram was FRAMEWORK. Come back tomorrow for the solution to today’s puzzle.
Plus, can you tackle The 1% Club? Scroll down to see if you got the questions right – and play for free on our website and app.
|
|
1624 | The first submarine is publicly tested on the Thames for King James I
2013 | Peaky Blinders premieres on the BBC
2022 | Elizabeth II’s coffin makes a ceremonial procession down the Royal Mile, Edinburgh (you can see our front page from the following day below)
Birthdays: Sydney Sweeney (29), Jennifer Hudson (45), Hans Zimmer (69)
|
Thank you for reading. Have a fulfilling day and I hope to see you tomorrow. Chris Evans, Editor |
Quiz answers:
- Led Zeppelin
- Lord Chamberlain
- Alcohol
- Captain Hook
- Apple iPhone Duo
|
|
Get full access to this newsletter every day, plus our award-winning website and app. Be quick: this offer must end soon.
|
|
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire