 |
Joe Barnes Diplomatic Editor |
Germany is holding talks on how it could invest in the future of Britain’s nuclear deterrent to protect Europe.
Officials in Berlin are concerned about the need to bolster Europe’s nuclear capability amid fears that Donald Trump is not interested in the Continent’s security.
This has led to accelerated discussions about how the country can better integrate with its nuclear-capable allies: Britain and France.
As one well-placed source told James Rothwell, James Crisp and I, Germany has a “very strong interest that the existing nuclear powers in Europe extend their capabilities”.
Germany could offer Britain Patriot missile systems to help protect its nuclear fleet |
While Britain already commits its submarine-launched Trident missile system to Nato for the defence of the alliance, Berlin’s discussions have revolved around how it could support this endeavour.
Those talks have accelerated in recent months amid fears the Trump administration will pull the US military away from Europe.
“Policymakers are waking up each morning and asking themselves what the hell the Americans are going to do tomorrow,” a second diplomatic source in Germany said.
Fears about European security will only be heightened after John Ratcliffe, the CIA director, made an unannounced visit to Moscow for talks with Russian military intelligence counterparts this week.
The brief visit coincided with a US intelligence report warning that Russia might soon attempt to attack a Nato ally to test the alliance’s resolve.
This exclusive report is available only to subscribers. Continue reading ➤
CIA chief made secret Moscow visit to warn Putin against attack on Nato ➤ |
 |
Samuel Montgomery News Reporter |
From his helicopter, Gopal Thapa scanned the wasteland below but could catch no glimpse of his brother or the pilgrims that had set off for Tibet that morning.
At least 160 people have died after flash floods swept through the Himalayan valleys on the border of Tibet and Nepal.
Nepal’s army launched rescue missions after villages were swept away in the floods |
Nepalese police said 579 tourists remained unaccounted for, including 33 British nationals, many of whom were undertaking pilgrimages to the Kailash mountain in Tibet.
Thapa, a trekking guide at Leaf Holidays, said the tour operator had lost contact with all 54 of its guides and pilgrims, including two British sisters and his own brother.
“I rented a helicopter myself and went out for an hour looking for them,” he said, adding: “It looks like not good news.”
Walls of water triggered by a suspected avalanche crashed through border infrastructure, swept away villages and broke bridges in half as they surged down the Bhotekoshi River yesterday.
Bodies were deposited in towns all the way along the river, some as far as 180 miles away.
Nepal’s army launched rescue missions, winching more than 100 people to safety via helicopter. Across the border, the Chinese air force launched drones above the town of Gyirong to search for survivors. Continue reading ➤ |
|
Con Coughlin Britain is facing unprecedented threats from Russia and Iran – yet Labour is choosing to pick a fight with a key ally Continue reading ➤
Michael Deacon British taxpayers shouldn’t have to spend a penny on Harry and Meghan’s security Continue reading ➤
Ysenda Maxtone Graham Prue Leith’s nanny-state plan for lunch boxes is for the fairies Continue reading ➤ |
To make sure you don’t miss our newsletters when they land in your inbox, click here. |
That luxury SUV overtaking on the motorway might cost half as much as you think. Dubbed “Temu Range Rovers”, convincing Chinese copycats are rapidly flooding our roads, with the £30,000 Jaecoo 7 stunning the motoring industry by becoming Britain’s best-selling car in March. Christopher Jasper, our Transport Industry Editor, investigates the bargain influx rattling Jaguar Land Rover and whether British heritage can withstand the invasion. For subscribers only ➤ |
|
Nigel Farage is “a complete cheat”, a Reform victory would make her “leave Britain”, Donald Trump is “ghastly”, and Israel shouldn’t exist – at least “not in its current form”. Miriam Margolyes claims to have mellowed, but a spiky interview with the outspoken 85-year-old actress at her home in south London, proves otherwise. Continue reading ➤ |
|
The American eagles have landed, writes Hannah Furness, our Royal Editor. What next? First, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex plan to settle their children into a new life in a new country. “Very normal stuff,” as one source puts it. Prince Harry already has engagements in the diary and Meghan will focus on the home front... for now. Continue reading ➤ |
|
For 15 years I had drunk, heavily, every single night, recalls Colleen Freeland. A bottle of wine had become a bottle of vodka. In desperation, I crawled into my first-ever Alcoholics Anonymous meeting and abstained for the next three years. Now I am back to drinking sensibly again, a glass midweek over dinner, maybe two at the weekend, and finally feel able to trust myself. This is how I managed it. Continue reading ➤ |
|
|
One in four adults is living with metabolic syndrome, but many of us are still not quite sure what it is. It produces no obvious symptoms but can cut short your life by decades, significantly raising the risk of both heart and kidney disease, stroke, diabetes, liver failure and premature death. Prof Stephen O’Rahilly, the co-director of the Institute of Metabolic Science in Cambridge, puts it simply: “It’s fat in the wrong place.” Find out what he means and the lifestyle changes that can keep it at bay. Continue reading ➤ Here is another article that may be of interest this morning:
- Keen birders: we want your help. Volunteers are needed to test the latest binoculars for birdwatching with the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. Sign up here.
|
‘There would be no rescue’
Few can imagine the agony of motor neurone disease (MND), a condition that causes muscles to waste away and leads ultimately to paralysis and respiratory failure. One in 300 of us will develop it, and there is currently no cure.
For the past 18 months, one courageous Telegraph reader, whose face we never see, has been living with MND and, with the help of her family, recorded her battle against a condition which, as she writes so movingly, “does tend to make one feel that one is disappearing from the world”.
Our anonymous author writes:
I waited a month for the results of February’s nerve conduction study. It noted: “Motor and sensory conduction studies are normal.” Encouraging. A month later, when I pressed the neurologist – was he sure it was MND? – he uttered the word “myasthenia”.
I had been reading about diseases that mimic MND. Myasthenia gravis was unpleasant and distressing, but more treatable. My optimistic brain offered glimmers of hope, fanned into a flame by the medical letter that followed: scans showed no neurophysiological evidence of MND. Of course, more tests would be needed.
During this hopeful spell we took a lodge near Penrith at Easter, with family gathering from all around, 19 of us at supper one night. Everyone knew by now that the diagnosis might not prove hopeless, and I took comfort from their smiles. I caught a nasty cold and could barely eat or speak, and had to sit up in bed at night because the coughing and choking were so severe. I kept away from everyone so they wouldn’t catch it. By the time we got home, my store of optimism was severely depleted.
The cold passed; the weariness didn’t. Communicating was getting harder. People were kind but perplexed. Some pretended to understand. They looked embarrassed, as if the failure was theirs. I grew used to vague nods and long noises of acknowledgement.
Then, on a bright day, walking down the steep hill into town, I heard my own footsteps echoing, yet they were no longer mine. My left foot was stepping out of time. I tried to recover an equal, regular beat, and could not. My left foot was dragging. I was invaded by an alien sense of physical insecurity, and whatever hope remained dissipated. There would be no get-out-of-jail-free card.
I told myself to be resigned. I was ill. There was no rescue. It did not seem real – too ridiculous to be real. I tried to imagine the future and my mind would not go there. Nor could my specialist confirm my fate, he was off sick: two weeks, then four. My results were waiting; no one could send them.
Instead, a letter arrived with a membership number. I was now a member of the MND Association, with a red and gold badge to prove it. This was not the confirmation I needed.
Next week: The end of hope
If you, a family member or a friend have had an experience with MND, share your story here. |
Cash is kingEvery weekday, Orlando Bird, our loyal Reader Correspondent, shares an off-piste topic that has brought out the best of your opinions and stories. Orlando writes... Good news for cash: it has a doughty crusader in the form of Trevor McDonald. In a recent interview, the former newsreader explained that card-only cafes can’t expect his custom.
I agreed with everything he said about the virtues of this embattled currency, but am in practice a chronic card user, a hapless stooge of convenience culture. The other week, though, for reasons I can’t remember but were definitely entirely legitimate, I found myself in possession of a £20 note. I saw the appeal all over again. Something reassuring about it. Nice, too, to be able to use the change for the odd donation.
Telegraph readers are strong supporters. “Retaining cash helps people on all incomes to budget more easily,” wrote John Barstow. “It also safeguards against unexpected glitches, as well as acts of cyber-warfare.
“I have been on duty during IT failures, when cash has saved the day. There are social reasons to preserve cash. For example, my female customers and staff have made me aware that it protects women from controlling male partners.
“The best way to keep cash is to use it more. I recently paid a hotel bill in cash in the Austrian village of Alpbach, thus also making a small contribution to the survival of two bank branches.”
Bernard Powell added: “My local cafe has several charity boxes on the counter, plus one for staff tips. After paying with cash, I have several options for my change, other than putting it in my pocket. I can’t do that if paying by card, app or QR code.”
All true, replied Neil Sewell-Rutter, but he had a query: “I have noticed that some members of Gen Z appear to regard cash as louche or suspect. Is only Apple Pay respectable, and a £20 note somehow disreputable?” Is cash still king? Send your responses here, and the best of the bunch will feature in a future edition of this newsletter.
Please confirm in your reply that you are happy to be featured and that we have your permission to use your name. |
|
1883 | Krakatoa volcano erupts in Indonesia, producing the loudest sound ever recorded
1896 | Britain defeats Zanzibar in the shortest recorded war in history, lasting approximately 38 minutes
1955 | Guinness Book of World Records is first published
1979 | Lord Mountbatten is assassinated by the IRA (you can see our coverage below)
Birthdays: Aaron Paul (47), Tom Ford (65), Glen Matlock (70)
Also, in today’s news, Italy has sent an army of sea creatures into Mediterranean waters to deal with an invasion of blue crabs. Which species did it release?
1. Octopus
2. Shark
3. Sea otter
4. Seal
Click one of the options to reveal the answer... |
|
Find as many words as you can in today’s Panagram, including the nine-letter solution. Visit Telegraph Puzzles to play a range of head-scratching games, including The 1% Club, Cogs, and Quick, Mini or Cryptic Crosswords.
Yesterday’s Panagram was FLAGRANCY. Come back tomorrow for the solution to today’s puzzle. |
Thank you for reading. Have a fulfilling day and I hope to see you tomorrow.
Chris Evans, Editor
P.S. I’d love to hear what you think of this newsletter. You can email me your feedback at fromtheeditor@telegraph.co.uk. |
|
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire